AKC S.T.A.R. PUPPY
Instructors: Jamie Killian-Coody and Deb Cawley
What is it?
We believe that all dogs deserve training and a responsible owner and our goal is to reward responsible dog ownership. The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy is an exciting new program
designed to get dog owners and their puppies off to a good start. The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program is an incentive program for loving dog owners who have taken the time
to take their puppies through a basic training class.
The Benefits of Training
Training classes teach you how to best communicate with your puppy. Organized training classes also provide an opportunity for your dog to socialize with other dogs. In classes aimed at earning the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy distinction, you’ll be able to get information on all of your puppy-raising questions including house training, chewing, and the most effective way to teach practical skills such as coming when called. AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy training is a natural lead in to the AKC® Canine Good Citizen®Program.
How It Works
When you complete a basic training class (taught by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator) with your puppy (up to 1 year old) your puppy is eligible to be enrolled in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program. You’ll attend any puppy or basic training class at least 6 weeks. Your instructor will administer the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy test at the end of the course. Upon passing the test, you’ll get an application to send to AKC® for enrollment in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program. All dogs are welcome to participate in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy®
Program including purebreds and mixed breeds. You and your puppy will be listed in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records.
In order for a dog to become a service dog, this organization goes with the AKC's S.T.A.R. program for puppies, 8 weeks and older, foremost. This program helps us to insure the best out of a service dog that can be accomplished. Good citizens, both with dog and handler.
20 STEPS TO SUCCESS: THE AKC S.T.A.R. PUPPY TEST
1. Maintain puppy's health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
2. Owner Receives Responsible Dog Owner's Pledge
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc
7. Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
8. Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
9. Tolerates collar or body harness of owner's choice
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN(R) TEST BEHAVIORS:
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
13. Grooming - allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
14. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
15. Walks by other people - walks on leash past other people 5 feet away
16. Sits on command - owner may use a food lure
17. Down on command - owner may use a food lure
18. Comes to owner from 5 feet when name is called
19. Reaction to distractions - distractions are presented 15 feet away
20. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)